Sunday, April 18, 2010

Resources for Writers #14: Poets & Writers Magazine

I'd never heard of this magazine until last year when I received a special offer in the mail. That's not significant, because there are many magazines with which I'm not familiar. However, I took advantage of the low introductory rate. At first, I found the bi-monthly magazine a bit over my head, but as time passed, and I became more familiar with issues relating to writing and publishing, I began to get more from the magazine. Still, when renewal time rolled around, I decided to renew only the lower-priced magazines and let Poets & Writers go.

To this day, I'm not sure what made me change my mind, but I dutifully put the check in the mail and didn't miss an issue. And, with each issue, I'm finding out what a gem the magazine is--for a lot of reasons and especially for the terrific 'catalogue' in the back, neatly categorized and alphabetized under 'Deadlines'.

Here you'll find listings (and even a submissions calendar!) for grants and contests, followed by a special section on winners of previously-featured competitions. Then there's a section on conferences and residencies. Finally, listed as 'classifieds',  there are listings of  anthologies, chapbooks, and magazines open to submissions. The latter is accompanied by the usual caveat emptor, cautioning writers to thoroughly check out all destinations for their manuscripts.

The card in the latest issue (May-June 2010) offers a year's subscription for $17.95, a 50% savings on the newsstand price.

FTC disclaimer: I share this information with other writers as a courtesy and am not paid to promote this or any other magazine.

4 comments:

Tiffany Green said...

Hi Judy, I have subscribed to Poets & Writers and also found the classified section interesting. The magazine that has really drawn my attention is Writer's Digest. Great articles there!

K9friend said...

A few of my writer friends get this magazine and seem to enjoy it very much.

Donna said...

Yikes, kind of pricey - although I have gotten the info in the mail. I'm almost tempted to buy it since your little nudge about the deadlines page . . .

PhilCrispin0626清民 said...

心中有愛,才會人見人愛。......................................................