Sunday, April 4, 2010

Resources for Writers #12: Your Own Page for All Things Writer-ly

Consider setting up an iGoogle page. Just click on Make iGoogle my home page. On the left, click on the down arrow beside HOME and click ADD A NEW TAB. Type in the name of the new page--in this case, WRITING. Then go to the right and select your THEME--the picture/design across the top of the page. Now you're ready to ADD STUFF--and there's a ton of it available!

Here's a look at some of the items I placed on my writing page. The "gadget" may be simply a search box OR it may list several articles of interest (they change frequently without you having to do a thing!)

  • Writing Tip of the Week
  • Document to PDF (a converter tool)
  • Online Language Checker
  • Writing Progress Meter
  • Grammar Girl Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing
  • Visual Thesaurus
  • Ancient Languages
  • Writing Tools
  • Daily Writing Tips
  • Writer Unblock Tool
  • Unexplained Mysteries
  • Dictionary.com
  • Writing Quote of the Day
  • About.com Fiction Writing
  • About.com Freelance Writing
  • Poe War
  • Wikipedia
Certainly, I don't use all of these everyday, and you can always find the information separately online. But it's handy to have it all organized on one page at your fingertips. And, you don't have to keep iGoogle as your homepage if you don't want to. Once you have all your tabs set up and all the "gadgets" added (I have pages for NEWS and GENEALOGY as well as WRITING), you can revert to another home page.

I access the iGoogle homepage from the Google Toolbar at the top of my screen.

2 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Judy,
Now that sounds interesting, I will have to check it out. Thanks for letting us know.
Happy Easter

Margaret

K9friend said...

Technology. I'm starting to believe I need an techno-savvy assistant to keep up with it!