Sunday, November 1, 2009

Welcome to The Word Place, TWRP Author Roni Adams



I write for the Yellow Rose and the Champagne Lines for The Wild Rose Press. Both of these lines are for contemporary romance, but the Yellow Rose line includes the added benefit of having cowboys included! 
I’ve always had an odd fascination with Texas and the ranch life and cowboys. I’ve written stories based on these locations most of my writing life and my latest series – the Double B takes place on a large cattle ranch in the Hill Country area of Texas.
I am published in A Cup of Comfort for Women, several short stories have been published by Dorchester in their magazines True Romance, True Confessions and True Stories.  I was a small town newspaper reporter for a few years and finally I have three short stories which are part of anthologies with The Wild Rose Press and my fourth full length novel will be released in November also with The Wild Rose Press.

Tips for Writers


Write. No matter what else is happening in your world carve out time to write ever single day and never give up.  Listen to those that understand more than you do about writing and publishing, ignore those who tell you that you can’t ever do it, and above all remember the only guarantee that you won’t get published is if you quit.
Trouble in Texas is the third installment in my Double B Series for the Yellow Rose line of The Wild Rose Press. It will be released by Thanksgiving. In the meantime, the first book in this series has been out since mid 2008 and is called To Tame A Cowgirl.  Here’s a sampling of this:


To Tame A Cowgirl The first in the Double B Series out now at www.thewildrosepress.com.“I said I dare you.” Sara scooted to the edge of the sofa and reached out for him but Buck was smart enough to step back so she couldn’t touch him.  She came off the couch in one fluid movement and walked towards him.  She wasn’t wobbling or swaying and he would have sworn she was stone cold sober if it wasn’t for the stupid stuff coming out of her mouth.  “Are you going to be the first one of us to back down from a challenge?”

She moved steadily towards him and he retreated until his back hit the wall next to the door to his bedroom.

“This isn’t like that.  This is nothing like that.” Bucks hook his head.

“Yes it is.  I want to do something with you and you’re backing down..”

His head spun.  What the hell was she trying to pull? Did Charli put her up to this?  She would never have thought to do this on her own.  “What did you and Charli talk about tonight?”  

Sara’s hands were on his waist.  Her fingers slid along the top of his jeans.  The open snap made them loose and he bit back a moan when her fingers flittered to his zipper and drew it downward.  He pushed her hand away.

She shrugged.  “This and that, nothing important.” She shook her hair back and looked up at him.  “Look Buck, we’re going to do this, tonight.  We can do it the easy way or the hard way.”

Buck laughed.  “What are you talking about?  How are you going to make me?”

Sara raised one eyebrow and gave a mysterious half smile.   She pressed her body into him until the part that was rock hard on him was up against her warmth. She tilted her head way back and looked into his eyes.  “I want to do this with you and if you turn me down I’ll know you were all talk that night behind the barn and you were too chicken to go further than a kiss.  I’m telling you straight up that I’m not drunk.  I know exactly what I’m doing and who I’m doing it with and I won’t be mad or regret it in the morning. Now are you in? Or are you all talk?” 







Visit me at: 

All commenters have a chance to win a free PRINT copy of any of my books including the one Trouble in Texas which will release by Thanksgiving.

18 comments:

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Roni,
Nice excerpt. I might be an Aussie but I love cowboys and the American west, thanks to Zane Grey and Bonanza.

regards
Margaret

Roni said...

Thanks Margaret, I appreciate you stopping by.

Roni

nlindabrit said...

Thank you for an interesting blog post, Roni. It is always good to get advice from a published author. Your books sound most entertaining.

Beth Caudill said...

Great excerpt. What a place to stop.....

Skhye said...

HI, Roni and Judy! I'm still loving those covers!!! The sunsets get me every time. You should make a bumper sticker out of your writing tips. ;) My critique partner has a rubber stamp that says "Do what's right for you." I always harass her about it. LOL. Y'all have a good one! I'm off to college. My daughter is in a pre-K art class. She always says "I'm going to college today." It can't hurt to make the first year a pleasant experience to always remember. LOLLLLL

And there's prizes to be won today at:
http://blog.skhyemoncrief.com

Linda Swift said...

Hi Roni and Judy,
I enjoyed the blog today and the good advice for writers. A comment I heard that I repeat often is that the only difference between published and unpublished writers is lunatic persistence. I'm sure I qualify on both counts! Wishing you both continued success. Linda

Roni said...

Hey all! Thanks for loving my covers - I do think the artists at The Wild Rose Press are pure genius! How they come up with such amazing depictions of my stories blows me away every time.

I'm excited to share my stories and writing with all of you.

My favorite writing quote of all time is "you can't edit a blank page". That keeps me motivated when I can't think of a thing to write that day. Hope it works for you as well.

Roni

Roni said...

I was going to post here some more excerpts from my stories but I didn't want to clog the blog with all that. If you want to read some more visit my web site at www.roniadams.com. My Double B Series is coming along nicely and I'm excited to share "Trouble in Texas" with everyone. My redheaded wild child Charli was such a fun heroine to write. There's nothing like writing someone like her to recharge your energies. Charli says outrageous things that most of us would only think, she's the girl who keeps the guys on their toes and who they all lust after.

I'm such a character driven writer I wonder sometimes if its easier to write characters who are like me or who are the exact opposite of me? What's your thoughts? Do characters come easier to you if they are similar to your own personalities?

Mallary said...

Great Excerpt! Love those covers they are striking,

Mary Ricksen said...

I loved the excerpt Roni. This is one of my favorite types of stories.

I think we tend to write what we know. The more experience you have the more you will be able to develop characters that are the opposite of yourself. A great book is a great book no matter where the characters personalities developed.

Great advise!!! Never stop, never give up, if you quit you will never know what could have been.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Roni and Judy,
Thanks for the advice to write everyday. Sometimes I get bogged down with life, work, and promoting that I just don't make the time to actually write. I needed a reminder to make writing my priority.

Loved your excerpt Roni.
All the best,
Jana

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi Roni, I write for Cactus Rose back in the 1880's...I just love them cowboys. Your books sound awesome and are now on my TBR list!
Fantastic covers.
Hugs...

Judy said...

Thanks, Roni, for visiting The Word Place to share your writing tips and info about your books. Love those covers!

Historical Writer/Editor said...

Your stories sound really good. Thanks for the interesting insights. -Laura H.

Skhye said...

Great point... I think it's easy to write someone who's opposite of you because humans think in dichotomies--us/them, good/bad, fun/boring, etc. Of course, it's always relative what runs through the thoughts of our characters! ;)

K9friend said...

Love those sexy cowboys! This one sounds like an entertaining romp and I look forward to reading it!

Roni said...

Thanks so much for having me here. I drew some a name out of my Stetson and Mallary you win a copy of my book "To Tame A Cowgirl". Please contact me at roni@roniadams.com and I will be more than happy to send it out. Thanks

Roni

Keena Kincaid said...

Hi, Roni. When I was about 4 years old, my parents seriously considered moving to Texas, buying land and ranching there. I've always wondered how different my life would be if they had done it.

Your writing tips are great, and I love your cover for To Tame a Cowgirl.