Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Miss Fanny Again and The New Project

Today has seen a good start on yet another revision of The Face on Miss Fanny's Wall. It has the potential to be a good story, so the tweaking is going to continue, and it will go out again somewhere sometime. The first part of the story is fine--but it begins to bog down toward the middle when the setting moves forward from past to present. Also, while the heroine is a spunky little piece, her love interest leaves something to be desired. With that in mind, he's no longer a poor little rich boy neglected by his parents but rather a real-life cowboy from Texas who took a year off after high school to make the rodeo circuit but is now hitting the books and plans to become a Texas Ranger.

So far, so good.

And, I've started a new folder for the "Jewels of the Night" series and done a great deal of research on blue diamonds since one must be included in the story. I've also researched some restored southern plantations because one will figure heavily as the place, even though the time is now.

I did extensive reading about McRaven, an antebellum home in Vicksburg MS, which the boys and I visited years ago. Upstairs, I was amazed to see a pair of vases identical to the ones passed down to me with the note, "Pappy's Christmas gift to Mammy on the first Christmas after they were married--December 25, 1867". Pappy and Mammy were my maternal great-grandparents, and the note is penned on the back of my great-aunt's old-fashioned calling card. She also wrote, "I want Judy to inherit these." Judy is most grateful that she did!

What I didn't know when we visited was that the house is, according to experts, quite haunted. It served as a hospital during the Civil War, and later, a 15-year-old bride died in childbirth in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Will there be a ghost in my story? It's tempting.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to some of the websites, just fyi: The Hope Diamond and McRaven. I'm anxious to get started, but I've vowed to revise Miss Fanny first and just stick to the research part of the new project.

It never ends...and what fun that it doesn't! 


 PS:  All you NaNo-ers out there, don't forget that starting tomorrow you can go to the NaNo site, upload your novel for word-counting purposes, and then download your winners' goodies!

3 comments:

nlindabrit said...

You are quite right to keep faith with Miss Fanny, which I just know is going to be a fabulous story!

I went and got my Nano goodies today and it feels so good!

Your 'Blue Diamond' project sounds like great fun and a ghost as well!

K9friend said...

It's cool when a writing project comes along and you get excited all over again...a very good thing!

Donna Alice said...

I have to admit to being a NaNo failure this year. Too much Real Life stuff got in the way. I had to accept being a cheerleader for all my friends who made it. HOORAY!!

The Blue Diamond project does sound intriguing. I'm in!