Friday, October 9, 2009

Welcome to the Word Place, Last Rose of Summer Author Linda Swift




          I currently have two books available from The Wild Rose Press in the Last Rose of Summer line. At first, I felt a little apologetic for the line's name, thinking it reflected older characters, and there was no point in emphasizing the fact.  I guess I was little sensitive on this point since I fall into that category. I even suggested to Rhonda that maybe something less obvious, like Silver Rose, might have a better connotation. But she quickly explained to me that the name was more a matter of a mature attitude than age and the guidelines defined this category as roses that defied convention, bloomed and flourished in spite of flood or drought. And that when cold comes, they cling tenaciously to the vine until they are the "last rose." Being a late bloomer myself, this sounded like exactly the way I'd want to be described. So now I make no apologies for being a Last Rose writer.
          Actually, my writing for this line at TWRP was a transition from my books at Zebra/Kensington which were in the contemporary To Love Again line there. Those books required a heroine of fifty or older, later changed to forty-five, and finally to forty. But to the regret of the authors and publisher, women of that age seemed to want their heroines to be eighteen-year-old virgins. These books were about widows, divorcees, and spinsters who were facing obstacles and overcoming them. And the targeted readership must have wanted less reality and more fantasy. So my first career as an author floundered and I became an orphan until I found an ebook family. No, make that two families so far.  I have three books contracted to be released with Awe-Struck Publishing, two contemporary books this year and my first published historical early in 2010.
          I have been writing since I was ten, first poetry, then a novel when I was sixteen. My first published work was poetry, then short stories in literary magazines. And even while I attended college and attained degrees in education, and was employed in public education, I never lost the thirst for being a published author of books. Torn between two loves (and yes, I did love working with children in public schools) I finally chose to write full time. For a few years afterward, I thought I'd make a terrible mistake. And financially speaking, I had. But writing is not about money. It's about having something you want to say that will touch the hearts of other people and enrich their lives as well as your own. You can't put a price on this kind of fulfillment.
          For beginning writers, I would encourage you to follow your dream. If you want to write and be published badly enough and work long enough and hard enough, it will happen. I have heard it said that to be a successful author there are three requirements: talent, hard work, and luck. And all you need is any two of these.  Think about that.
         

          Let Nothing You Dismay, my first book with TWRP, is a holiday book which received top ratings from its three reviewers. Here is a short blurb:
         
          Kala's position as tour guide at a Kentucky Welcome Center isn't enough to cope with huge debts left by her late husband's illness, but she manages to make ends meet . . until her car quits running. To save money on repairs, she enrolls in an auto-mechanic class taught by Rex, a handsome part-time instructor whose broken heart needs repairing, too. After recently losing his important job and family, he has sworn never to get involved with another woman.
             Kala discounts her growing attraction to Rex when she learns he is years younger, until the winter storm of the century throws them together. When the Interstate closes down, Kala opens her home to a houseful of strangers. Despite fire, flood, and friction, she creates an old-fashioned holiday rich in the true spirit of Christmas. In the process, Kala and Rex discover the greatest gift of love   



          My second book with TWRP is called Circle of Love, a story about love lost and found.

        Joanna returns to a small Missouri town for her high school reunion and comes face to face with Pete, the love of her life. A college professor in Tennessee, she has never married and he, a prosperous farmer, is now a widower with five children.
             Their attraction is as strong as it was on graduation night when Pete was leaving for boot camp. He never knew that she had his child and gave her up for adoption. 
             They begin a new relationship but  Pete's children resent Joanna's presence in their father's life. And because of the guilt she hides in her heart, Joanna knows she can never marry Pete now.
             Despite their diverse lives and the obstacles they must overcome, will they be able to find happiness in a lost love that has come full circle?
  
       
   And my soon-to-be released first book from Awe-Struck Publishing is Single Status.

          B.J. is a woman with a mission-- to show that she can handle a start-up engineer's job as well as any man. Then maybe she can prove to her ex that she is not the helpless wife he left for another woman.
            Dana is a man grieving the deaths of his wife and young son in a terrorist plane crash. Through a mix-up at stateside headquarters, B.J. and Dana are forced to share a villa in the single status job in St. Croix. B.J. is the scapegoat when things go wrong at work and Dana becomes her reluctant defender--when he is not defending himself against her unjust conclusions about him.
             Despite their attempts to prove otherwise, the powerful attraction between them grows. B.J. is blamed for a bad accident at the plant and her job is on the line. When Dana is almost killed trying to find the real culprit, will B.J. finally admit that the love they have found together is the most important thing of all?


          You can read excerpts of all the above by visiting my web site: www.lindaswift.net

          And you can view my book trailer for Circle of Love if you stop by this link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F72DmHMbOhM
or  http://thewildrosepress.com/publisher/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2401&Itemid=119

         

             

31 comments:

lainey bancroft said...

You're a busy lady, Ms. Swift! They all sound like great reads, very appealing covers, too.

Wishing you mega sales!

(Lainey, a fellow 'Last Rose.' I love writing for this line. You can put some 'meat' on the character--both literally and figuratively--and not have it be a total romance faux pas. I tag my LROS books...'because you don't have to be twenty-five and a size five to deserve a happily-ever-after!' and quite a few readers have told me how nice it is to read that.) =)

Linda Swift said...

Thanks for stopping by so early in the morning, Lainey. I love your tag for our LROS books. And how true your words are. Like fine wine, romance should get better with age!

K9friend said...

Your books sound like a breath of fresh air. I agree that age is only a number.

It would be pretty depressing to think that love stops after a certain point in life, wouldn't it?

Celia Yeary said...

LINDA, my dear friend--age is relative. I still feel 18--well not quite, but I do feelt much younger than I look. I have not written a story yet whihc contained a Last Rose character, but I certainly think I could!
Your interview is "all you"--sweet, kind, good-natured, easy to read, easy to get along with. Very nice, indeed. Celia

Danielle Thorne said...

I always smile when you talk about our line at TWRP--Last Rose of Summer can have several connotations,
but you are def one of those strong women who know how to hold on and be beautiful.

I really enjoyed learning more about your earlier writing habits before Zebra and the e-world. Best of luck with all of your fantastic books!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

I wish you the best with your books.

It's about time there's stories about a mature woman seeking romance. :)

Linda Swift said...

Thank you, K9friend, for stopping by. We haven't met before, I don't think, so it's nice to make a new acquaintence. Does your K9 identity mean what I think it does? I'm memaw to a sweet 14- year-old-Lhasa whom I love to pieces. And I have a long history of dogs who have blessed my life. They are one of God's best gifts, and the perfect example we have of unconditional love.

Linda Swift said...

Celia, how kind your words to me. Your comments always warm my heart. And about age, wellllll, I don't feel 18 and don't really want to. All that angst. But I really stopped counting at 35. That was my peak, I think. Ah, but all the experience acquired since then. I'd like to think "wiser, not older" but actually both apply!

Kathleen said...

Linda, Congratulations on some great stories. I'm a last rose author too and had regretted the moniker until you just expained why we have that name. All best wishes!

Linda Swift said...

Thanks so much for taking time to stop by, Danielle. I always marvel at how you manage a husband, four boys at home, all those activities and still find time to write those wonderful books. But then, you really aren't but a breath over 35. And thanks for you very kind words. They made my day.

Linda Swift said...

Karen, I sincerely agree with you. Love should be as much for the mature woman as for the ingenue. Did I spell that right? I think we more mature women savor the emotion more deeply than when we were young. I know I do. Passion, about anything from a man to a career, has more depth with age, right?

Linda Swift said...

Lainey, another comment for you. My cover artists would be pleased by your comments re my book covers. I've been fortunate to have three very excellent cover artists, all of whom have give me some input in what I'd like my covers to be.

Linda Swift said...

Correction here. Will I never learn to proof before I send? I do know that the word in my last comment is GIVEN, not give. Please forgive the error.

And Kathleen, thanks for stopping by. Yeah, Rhonda's definition of Last Rose really makes you proud to be one, doesn't it?

Mary Ricksen said...

Follow your dreams, the best advise ever!

Mary Ricksen said...

These all sound wonderful, I can't wait to read them. Go Linda, go!

Debra St. John said...

HI Linda, Your stories sound romantic! I love the cover for "Let Nothing You Dismay". It makes me want to curl up in a cozy B & B during a snow storm.

Linda Swift said...

Mary, thanks for you support. You are always there for your fellow authors and speaking for myself, it is greatly appreicated. And yes, if we follow our dreams, we will catch up with them sooner or later. I'm wishing much dream fulfillment for you.

Linda Swift said...

Debra, I appreiate your comments on my holiday story. It is a cozy, romantic story that I hope emboides all the best of the Christmas spirit. And it has young children, smart-mouthed teens, a widow, a divorcee and other minor characters who all blend together in a story of the true spirit of Christmas. Funny thing here, I am one of people who get depressed at hohidays. So I think this was therapy for me!

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Linda,
Wonderfulful article. You are an inspiration to aspiring writers as well as those already published. You obviously never gave up on your dream and because of that found success. All your stories sound like great reads, everyone of them is ohn my TBR pile, but getting the time to read them is the problem.
Best wishes
Margaret

Linda Swift said...

Hi Margaret. It was so good of you to stop by. I know you've been quite busy as a guest on another blog today. I was there and it was very interesting and inspiring to read about your life and career. As for never giving up, my husband calls says I am a good example of the "dog with a bone" syndrome. (Do you think he is really calling me a dog here?) I was born under the sign of Taurus and we never give up.
Readers, Margaret is at the link below and it's not too late to read her wonderful blog tonight.
http://melinda.essentialwriters.com/2009/10/07/interview-with-twrp-author-margaret-tanner/#comment-61

Kaye said...

Loved the interview. You certainly are an inspiration in life and Wesley, Sabian and I are VERY proud and happy for all your success!! You really have a talent for making interesting characters and plots come to life! Everyone will enjoy your books!!!

Linda Swift said...

Thanks, Kaye, for your support of my late in life writing career. And for saying I am an inspiration to you, Wes, and Saby. But you are the real inspiration here with the way you worked to overcome your near-fatal accident. I admire and love you more than words can say.
Your mother, Linda

Margaret Tanner said...

Hi Linda,
It was an honour and a pleasure to drop by. The dog with a bone is good, but Bruce and the spider is good too, "if at first you don't suceed, try, try again."
Thank you for your kind words, too accolades from a writer of your calibre are accolades indeed.

Regards
Margaret

Linda Swift said...

Before I call it a night, I'd like to thank everyone who stopped today and for all your kind comments. And a special thanks to Judy for inviting me to her blog. Isn't it great that she is helping all the lines at TWRP become better known through their respective authors?

nlindabrit said...

I think it is great to have a line of books that appeal to the more mature reader and all credit to TWRP for that. Your books sound most interesting, Linda! Thank you for introducing us to them here.

Roni said...

So very happy to read your blog Linda. Your holiday book sounds just like something I want to curl up in front of a fire and indulge with. Thanks for sharing your blurbs. Best of everything in your writing.
Roni Adams

Linda Swift said...

Thanks for your comments, nlindabrit. Yes, I agree that mature readers deserve to have books with characters they can relate to NOW instead of only in their earlier years. We "last roses" are setting an example for our sister roses to follow. Life (and love) doesn't end at 40, or even later!

Linda Swift said...

Thank you, Roni, for your kind words about my holiday book. It is a "feel good" book in which there are no bad guys except for the weather. My editor suggested this quote to describe it: "If you want to keep the Christmas spirit all year long, you need to read this book."

Eliza March Writes Red Hot Romance said...

The Last Rose of Summer is one you come to cherish ... appreciate and savor all winter long.

~~~Eliza March

Judy said...

Many thanks to Linda for sharing her story here at The Word Place!

Linda Swift said...

Eliza, what beautiful words re the last rose of summer. I will keep your comments to read againa and again. Thank you.