Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Free Is Always Good

Just discovered a new website--Chronicles of the Old West. A one-year subscription to their newspaper/magazine is $30--$20 if you go the ezine route. I haven't explored everything there yet, but I did check their online store--an interesting mix of books, CDs, back issues, subscriptions to radio shows, and even a John Wayne seat for the indoor privy!

I did come away immediately with a free ebook: Amazing Stories About Tombstone Arizona Territory by editor Dakota Livesay. (Doesn't that name just suit the genre?) It arrives as a 25-page pdf, which I promptly printed, punched, and put into on of the paper folders that I stock up on when they go on sale.

Here's what's inside:
  1. Why Name A Town After A Grave Marker?
  2. Every Tombstone Needs an Epitaph
  3. The Doctor Can't Give a Shot
  4. Booze Almost Destroys Tombstone
  5. If Only He Was the President's Doctor
  6. How to Kill a Marshal and Get Away with It
  7. Sin Builds a Church
  8. A Professional Photographer Misses an Opportunity
  9. Vengeance Is Mine...Says Wyatt
  10. Watch Out for a Man Named Slaughter
I haven't completely explored the site, but I intend to, and I may subscribe to the online version. I'm in the market for a new toilet seat, but I don't think the John Wayne one fits my decor. There are, however, some interesting contests and a nice link to the "Living the Code" foundation just established by Mr. Livesay.

The website is definitely worth a look-see--haven't I heard that used as a westernism somewhere?--so mosey on over, pardners...

2 comments:

nlindabrit said...

You never cease to amaze me with your diligent hunt for resources and you make aome fantastic finds! This sounds like another great one and I am going to check it out!

K9friend said...

John Wayne's toilet seat? Interesting image...

Anyway, the site sounds fascinating, and I plan to take a virtual visit soon!