Sunday, September 27, 2009

Welcome to the Word Place, English Tea Rose Author, Donna Hatch





The English Tea Rose is a line for historical stories set in Great Britain. There you will find Medieval knights, Scottish highlanders, and Regency lords; everything a girl needs to sweep her off her feet. I love this line because I write Regencies. The Regency Era was a short, yet pivotal time line from 1811 to 1820 when King George III of England was officially declared insane and his son, the Prince of Wales, became Regent. People often think of the Jane Austen books when they think of Regencies, even though most of her books were slightly earlier.

I love the Regency Era because it was a completely different world. Men were civilized and cultured, educated in dance, art and literature, and yet engaged in manly pursuits like hunting, fencing and the steeplechase. I love to imagine myself in the glittering world of dukes and duchesses, libertines and lovers. There, I can wear beautiful gowns, waltz with a viscount, outwit a killer, and fall in love.


I have a full length Regency Romance entitled The Stranger She Married, and a novella called Troubled Hearts. I have a third title, a sequel to The Stranger She Married which is coming out June 2010. The new book is called The Guise of a Gentleman. You may find my Regency Romance Novels at the Wild Rose Press under "Historical" and "English Tea Rose."

My advice to aspiring authors: Be persistent and work really hard to continue to develop your craft. Great artists – whether they be painters, dancers, musicians, or authors – must spend countless hours learning and practicing. Also, swallow your pride and accept constructive criticism. If you reject all the advice you ask for, people will not want to help you and you’ll never improve. My final piece of advice; keep working at it and don’t give up. Lots of people want to be writers, but most don’t have the determination to ride through the rough times or continue their education.

My current work, The Stranger She Married is a sweet, yet sensual Regency romance with adventure, intrigue, a love triangle, and a terrible secret. Torn between a disfigured war hero with the heart of a poet, and a handsome libertine who may not be all he seems, impoverished Alicia must marry by the end of the month. Despite a murder threat looming over her, learning to love the stranger she married may pose the greatest danger of all … to her heart.

Order the paperback on Amazon or order the ebook on line at www.thewildrosepress.com. Look for The Stranger She Married under the category “Historical.”


Please visit my blog at www.donnahatch.blogspot.com. Follow me, make a comment on one of my posts, then send me an email at donnahatch29@gmail.com with the subject line: TWRP blog. In the body of the email say something like: “I’m following you, now send me a free short story.” And I will!

Visit my website at www.donnahatch.com

10 comments:

K9friend said...

Hello, Donna. Your books sound wonderful. Since you enjoy the Regency period, have you had the opportunity to visit England and research your books?

nlindabrit said...

Welcome, Donna and thank you for a most interesting and helpful post. I love the Regency period myself and was introduced to the works of Georgette Heyer by my mother when I was 12. I am very curious to read your work.

lmcoulter said...

Having never read about the Regency era, I find myself fascinated with it. I must do some investigation, research and reading your book. Thanks so much for opening my eyes!

Mary Ricksen said...

Your books are right up my alley. Can't wait to read them. Good luck and many sales!!
Regency to me is so hard to write and make it exciting. Apparently you have succeeded!

P.L. Parker said...

Interesting. Lots of good info. I grew up on sweet Regency romances, always had one stuffed somewhere that I was reading. Good luck on sales and congratulations.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Donna,
I love the Regency period too. The styles of that period, including the clothing and the furniture and architechure, were just so elegant. A beautiful, stylish period in history.

Good luck with your new release.
Jana Richards

Linda Swift said...

Hi Donna, I enjoyed your blog and love the English Regency period although I've never tried to write in that period. I visited your web site. Lovely. Wishing you success with your books. Linda

Judy said...

Thanks to Donna for being my guest at The Word Place!

Donna Hatch said...

K9friend; I wish!! My goal is to make enough money as an author to actually go to England someday. Thanks to Linda, Mary, Jana and everyone else for their well wishes. You've given me such a warm welcome! Thanks again Judy!!!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Donna..."The Stranger She Married" sounds very intriguing. Regency romances always seem so romantic...even more so than other categories in romance.