Sunday, September 13, 2009

Welcome to The Word Place, Champagne Rose Author Debra St. John

I love being a rose.


The best writing advice I’ve ever gotten was when a friend and fellow chapter-mate (Thanks Morgan!) recommended I submit to The Wild Rose Press. Wisely, I followed that advice, and the rest, as they say, is history.

I’ve been a rose for almost two years now, and for the moment I write exclusively for the Champagne Rose line. Champagne Roses are contemporary romance stories with lots of spice; that is sexual tension, passionate chemistry, and at least one fully consummated love scene. (In layman’s terms, if you’re reading a book from this line, the hero and heroine will definitely be “doing it”! – More than once if you happen to be reading one of mine.) These stories are sexy, emotional, and real, with a guaranteed happily-ever-after. What more could you want?

As a reader I enjoy historical romance as well as contemporary romance, but doing the research and getting the facts right in a historical is a tad intimidating for me, so writing in the here and now is definitely more my cup of tea. In my stories I try to incorporate places I’ve actually been, which helps to add an air of authenticity to the setting. I know exactly what my hero and heroine are seeing, because I’ve seen it, too.

I’ve been very fortunate in my association with TWRP. The first manuscript I submitted to them was contracted within a few months. My debut novel This Time for Always was released in July of 2008. Following that I published “Mistletoe and Folly” in December of 2008 (a short story for their Free Read program).

My latest book, Wild Wedding Weekend will be released May 14, 2010. You can check out the fantastic cover (Another terrific part of TWRP: WONDERFUL cover artists!) and read a blurb on my web-site(http://www.debrastjohnromance.com/). Currently I have another manuscript with my editor (the fabulous Kat O’Shea) for consideration. Tentatively titled This Can’t Be Love, it’s a spin-off of Always. All in all, I couldn’t be happier with my experience and the way my writing career is developing with The Wild Rose Press.
For all of you aspiring writers out there, the best piece of advice I can offer is to keep writing. The more you do it, the better you’ll get at it. I highly recommend joining some kind of writing support group. I belong to a local RWA chapter (waving “hi” to my fellow Chicago-Northers) which is fabulous. However, a more informal group may suit your needs better. Find what works for you, but get that support, make those connections, and learn the business. Having a critique partner or group can be very helpful as well, as long as you hook up with other writers who know what they’re doing. Enter contests. Contests are a great way to get feedback on your work, and for finalists, to get your work in front of an editor.

Thanks for visiting, and thanks to Judy and The Word Place for having me and organizing this amazing bunch of authors from The Wild Rose Press! If you leave a comment here today you’ll be entered into a drawing to win a PDF copy of This Time for Always.

To find out if you’re the winner, visit me at http://acmeauthorslink.blogspot.com on Sunday, September 20. (I’m the official Sunday Blogger at Acme.)

Happy Reading!
Deb

15 comments:

Nancy J. Parra said...

Hi Deb- *waves* Nice blog. I agree, the best thing you can do is write and keep writing. A good writing group like Chicago North can help and teach you a lot.

And WRP is great when it comes time to publish. Cheers!

Morgan Mandel said...

Hi Debra,
I'm so glad you're having a good time with The Wild Rose. It sounds like it's a very good fit and that's very important for an author.

Of course, with your talent, I always knew you'd make it.

I've got another Wild Rose author at my blogspot today. If anyone has time, please stop by to welcome Nancy J. Parra on the last stop of her blog book tour at

http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

Thanks,
Morgan Mandel

Debra St. John said...

Hi Judy! Thanks for having me today. It's a busy one, but I'll try to check in throughout the day.

Wow, Nancy, you're fast this morning. It's nice to "see" a fellow Rose and Chi-Norther around and about!

Terry Odell said...

Hello to a fellow rose.

I had the honor and privilege of being TWRP's first outside contracted author for my short-short Champagne Rose, "Words." It's out of print now, but I have a giveaway this month on my website.

I have a few Champagnes, and also have a couple more stories in The Last Rose of Summer line.

They've grown so much since those days (I think my first story was contracted and published within 30 days!). I am now in contract negotiations for a full-length novel in the Crimson Rose line. They do treat their authors very well.

P.L. Parker said...

Congratulations on your successes. As a fellow TWRP, I agree with you that its a good place to be.

lmcoulter said...

Great advice! Writing is supposed to be fun and it sounds like you're having it! Thanks for the blog, it was very interesting!

K9friend said...

Debra, your books sound like terrific reads!

How long did it take for you to find the perfect publisher for your manuscripts?

nlindabrit said...

Thank you for a very interesting and encouraging blog post, Debra. Your advice to writers is sound and upbeat too.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Morgan...again, many thanks for recommending Wild Rose!

Terry...how fabulous to have been the first outside Rose. Quite an honor!

Pat...I had two rejections from Harlequin before I submitted to Wild Rose. The stories they rejected I contracted with TWRP. And I am definitely in the right place!

Hi Leona, P.L., and Linda...thanks for stopping by today.

Blythe Gifford said...

Hi, Debra! There's nothing better than having a publishing house you're happy with. Looking forward to your next release.

Marilyn Brant said...

Debra~It's wonderful to hear a little more about the Champagne Rose line--I definitely like "spicy"!!!--and I've really enjoyed watching your writing journey. Congrats :).

Debra St. John said...

Hi Marilyn and Blythe...thanks for stopping by. I've enjoyed being a part of your careers as well. See you tonight!

Kelly Jamieson said...

Sounds like things are going well for you at TWRP Debra!

Debra St. John said...

Hi Kelly, this are going very well! I really love it there.

Thanks, Judy for having me. And thanks to everyone for stopping by. Check in at http://acmeauthorslink.blogspot.com on Sunday to see if you've won a PDF of "This Time for Always".

Have a great rest of the week!

Judy said...

Many thanks to Debra for being my guest today! I enjoyed reading about Champagne Rose and seeing your books!