Thursday, September 10, 2009

Welcome to The Word Place, Cactus Rose Author Linda Carroll-Bradd

Hello. So glad you stopped by today to learn about the Cactus Rose line of The Wild Rose Press. Cactus stories are historical westerns set “west of the Mississippi River during the 1800s. They should be filled with colorful characters and plenty of romance. Historical accuracy is important but shouldn't overshadow the romance in the story. Give us adventure, seduction, and a rollicking good time!” (quoted from the website)
I have always loved westerns—something I learned from my dad. On family road trips when an old cemetery appeared, he’d stop and take a few minutes to walk through reading the gravestones. I soaked up his explanations about reading the dates and figuring if influenza or another disease had swept through the town. Or he’d point out how a man or woman’s death closely followed the death of a spouse.

When I started writing, I remembered those conversations and thought of how different women’s positions in society were. The idea for Lone Star Angel came after viewing one of my all-time favorite movies, Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid. (What woman could resist Robert Redford with his tousled hair and bushy moustache?) The story question became, what life is left for the paramour of an outlaw when he is killed? Back in 1860s Texas —not much. So she turns to the family she deserted when running away with an exciting man seemed like such fun. Plus, in Carnelian Wendell’s mind, the anonymity of a west Texas ranch is an added bonus. Of course, she’s never met anyone like strait-laced, ranch owner Luc Tarrant and the sparks fly.

My other Cactus release is part of the Lawmen and Outlaws anthology—two stories about lawmen and two about outlaws. In Dreams of Gold, Sheriff Quinn Riley is tracking the swindler who bilked Bull City ’s townspeople, including his parents, out of their savings to invest in a gold mine. When Easterner Ciara Morrissey maneuvers a runaway stagecoach into town, she cuts a swath through the community and one solitary man’s heart. Especially when she starts asking about the very man Quinn is tracking.
Other stories released by The Wild Rose Press are in the Sweetheart Rose line: Ten Fantasy Wishes and Only for One Night and in the Faery Rose line: A Legend of Ireland.
Free reads at The Wild Rose Press include One Last Time and Business is Blooming.*
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Visit my website: www.lindacarroll-bradd.com
Linda

8 comments:

K9friend said...

Linda, your books sound like terrific reads. Do you ever get to travel out West? (Only in the name of research, of course!)

Kathleen said...

Your law-men story sounds great! Who can resist Robert Redford/Butch Cassidy types.

lmcoulter said...

Sigh! I love western romances! Off to read your free reads :) and Robert Redford..what can I say???

Delicious Romance From Cerise DeLand said...

Yeah, Linda!!! Glad to see you here!!! I know your books are FAB! You can do cowboys, babe!

Mary Ricksen said...

Lawmen and Outlaws what a fantastic read. I wish you the best, Linda, your book was great!

nlindabrit said...

Your books sound wonderful, Linda! Western themed stories are a genre I have only encountered in recent years as they are less prevalent in Britain, but I like the strong characters and integrity of those times very much.

Debra St. John said...

HI Linda. Wow! Ypu have some fabulous sounding stories out there.

Judy said...

Many thanks to Linda for being my guest today! I'm plotting a western romance myself, and this has spurred me on (no pun intended!)