Monday, September 7, 2009

Welcome to the Word Place, Black Rose Author Barbara Edwards

Walking on the Dark Side



     Black Rose is the dark paranormal branch of The Wild Rose Press. The website intro says it all: Step into a mist-shrouded netherworld where vampires, werewolves and shape-shifters roam at will…
     My name is Barbara Edwards and I didn’t plan to write a dark and dangerous story. The idea started with the cemetery next to the house where I grew up. No longer used, the ancient stones were a spooky place to play hide and seek during the long summer dusk. The headstone covered hill was an obstacle course for winter sledding. Huge old pines cast dark shadows.
     Sometimes I wondered if spirits walked there and hid under my bedcovers all night.
     Ancient Awakening was conceived from a nightmare and grew into the fictional town of Rhodes End. Rhodes End is the nexus of ley lines and draws paranormal activity to this otherwise charming New England town.
     I’ve published three other novels with WingsEpress, two historical romances and a romantic suspense. In the works are the second and third books in the Finding Rhodes End series.
     Here’s the blurb from Ancient Awakening, a September 18 release from The Wild Rose Press.
       In Ancient Awakening, Police Officer ‘Mel’ Petersen investigates a death only she believes is murder. By disobeying direct orders from the Rhodes End Chief, she risks her career to follow clues that twist in circles to her backyard and lead the killer to her.
      Her neighbor Stephen Zoriak is a prime suspect. Steve worked for a major pharmaceutical company where he discovered a weapon so dangerous he destroys the research. He is exposed to the dangerous organism. He suspects he is the killer and agrees to help her find the truth.
      In the course of their investigation Mel and Steve find the real killer and a love that defies death.
And a short excerpt to tease your interest:
      The hum had changed to a soft slithering, like a snake on sand. Something stirred close by—something evil.
      Wally pointed towards the faintly illuminated back corner.
      “How about that? Mighty fancy carving on it.”
      “If it was a little bigger, I’d figure it for a coffin.” Butch scratched his unwashed head while he squinted at the carved stone rectangle. “With gold rings or teeth on the body.”
      “Lem’me see.” Wally shined his small flashlight so the beam revealed the writhing figures.
      “Piece of shit.” Butch pushed at the box. Stone grated on stone. “Too heavy to lift. Help me get the lid off.”
      “No,” Josh whimpered. Evil. He smelled evil. He couldn’t tear his terrified gaze from his friends. He tasted it.
      “Watch out!”
      The box crashed heavily to the floor.
      “Damn it, ya broke the friggin’ side. Be worth spit now.”
      “Quit yer whinin’. At least you’re not bleeding. Damn edge cut my hand. Shine a light here while I check inside. Better be worth our trouble.”
      Bloodcurdling shrieks tore open the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     There is no easy way to be a published author. I recommend finding a good group of fellow writers for support. This is a lonely business and motivation is the key to success. Other writers can share tips, offer good advice and critiques, but in the end only determination keeps an author writing.
     This is my advice. Sit in that chair every day and write. When the book is done go back and rewrite. Work to make it the best story possible. Send it out, take the hits and keep writing daily.
For more excerpts from my books visit my website: www.barbaraedwards.net

http://barbaraedwards.net/blog/blog.asp for Barb'Ed Comments

www.Wings-press.com for Annie's Heart, Another Love, Rachel's Rescue

http://twitter.com/barb_ed

9 comments:

lmcoulter said...

Your stories sound fascinating. I love how you got the idea of Ancient Awakening, and it stirred up an idea in my own mind. Thank you! I also like this piece of advice: "This is a lonely business and motivation is the key to success. Other writers can share tips, offer good advice and critiques, but in the end only determination keeps an author writing." This is the truth. I'll be looking for your books!

Susan Macatee said...

Sounds like a great story, Barbara! Love that cover too!

Mary Ricksen said...

Boy I wish your excerpt had been a little longer. Darn! Great cover too.
This one sounds great.

nlindabrit said...

Thank you for a most interesting post, Barbara! I especially liked the short extract from your book, which has certainly left me wanting to read more. Your story sounds wonderful! I would have said this was a genre I would not normally read, but your story sounds highly intriguing and I am revising my reading preferences rapidly here.

Debra St. John said...

Hi Barbara,

That is good advice. The only way to get the words on the page is to sit in the chair and write.

Good luck with your upcoming release.

Donna Alice said...

I have to echo Linda - this isn't usually a genre I'd read but you make it sound very interesting.

Loved your tips for writers too. Thanks for the advice.

K9friend said...

Sounds like a fascinating premise for a story.

Do you tend to find inspiration more from your surroundings, what you read, or popular movie/tv shows?

Autumn Jordon said...

Barbara, You are so right on. This business is hard and lonely. An author has to be willing to give a whole lot to succeed. Great advice. Nice cover too.

Autumn Jordon
www.autumnjordon.com

Judy said...

Thanks for being my guest, Barbara. Your advice to writers is, of course, right on the mark!