Malicious Intent by Sean Mactire, subtitled a writer's guide to how murderers, robbers, rapists, and other criminals think, is part of The Howdunit Series made available by Writer's Digest.
After an introduction entitled "The Face of Evil", the book is divided into fifteen chapters.
- The History and Hallmarks of Violent Crimes
- Understanding Human Behavior
- Profiling the Criminal
- Crime Fact, Crime Fiction
- Serial Murder
- Cult-Related Murder
- Sexual Predators
- Child Molesters and Child Murderers
- The Career Criminal
- Wise Guys and Hitmen
- Drug Abusers
- Women Who Kill
- Psychology in the Courtroom
Right now, as I work on The Showboat Affair, I'm interested in the last chapter, "Psychology in the Courtroom".
This 228-page volume contains a bibliography and an index for easy reference.
Other books in the series include:
- Police Procedural: A Writer's Guide to the Police and How They Work
- Private Eyes: A Writer's Guide to Private Investigators
- Deadly Doses: A Writer's Guide to Poisons
- Scene of the Crime: A Writer's Guide to Crime-Scene Investigation
- Armed and Dangerous: A Writer's Guide to Weapons
- Modus Operandi: A Writer's Guide to How Criminals Work