Saturday, September 26, 2009

Release Dates and A Few Others

Where Is Papa's Shining Star? will be released by The Wild Rose Press on July 9, 2010.

Finding Papa's Shining Star will follow on August 13, 2010.

I've signed on to participate in October Obsession, a writing group project similiar to National Novel Writing Month. I don't have all the details yet, but it appears that we set individual goals and then support each other in achieving them. Since I can continue with my work-in-progress, The Showboat Affair, I decided to give it a try. (For inspiration, I purchased this picture of my characters "Nick and Jean" from Fotolia where I get the pictures for my book trailers.)

 October 8-10 is the Ozark Creative Writers Conference in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. This will be my first writing conference, and I'm looking forward to it. The keynote speakers and those leading the break-out sessions appear to have a wealth of information to share, so I plan to come home a lot savvier about writing in general!

I'm taking a one-sheet to the conference "just in case" since I really want to find a home for Four Summer Days. I really haven't done much to try to find a publisher. It's an odd combination of genres, and while the feedback from those who have read it has been really positive, I've drug my feet. Here is the picture (also purchased from Fotolia) that I've used on the one-sheet. When I saw it, it was exactly the way I'd pictured the old Pope homeplace in my mind!
 


November 1 kicks off the annual NaNoWriMo event. The goal is 50,000 words of a brand-new novel during the month of November. If a returning participant has achieved that goal the previous year, he/she may continue writing on something already begun, but the 50K goal for the month of November stands. I'm hoping to finish Showboat during October, so I'm not sure what I plan for November. Last year I did Dancing with Velvet, then rewrote it later, but it is still awaiting more rewriting before it's anywhere close to fit for submission! (The house elf--who else?--designed the cover for this one!)




It occurs to me that the pending western novel might be a good thing to work on in November. During my trip to Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle last May, I didn't find the ranch where my grandmother spent a year teaching in a one-room school, but I came home with a lot of information about those  schools. I have other research notes, too, and I wrote the first chapter as a stand-alone story for the LSS forum, so perhaps I can pull together a rough draft in November. 

It's going to be a busy fall season. I like busy.


2 comments:

K9friend said...

Gosh, Judy, I almost signed up for the OCW Eureka Springs conference but ended up doing one in Branson (OWL workshop, weekend before Thanksgiving) instead. Several folks in my Saturday Writers groups will be at the conference you're attending.

After two years of chickening out, I decided to do the NaNoWriMo challenge this year. We discussed it at our monthly Saturday Writers meeting yesterday. I think it's about the only way I'll ever push myself hard enough to finish a full manuscript!

nlindabrit said...

I have signed up for Nanowrimo too! I have failed a couple of times, but I am better prepared this year and want to use the structure of the month to get a novel pulled together, at least in first draft.

I am so excited that you have actual publication dates on your books, dear friend! It has been a long haul, but your efforts are all coming to fruition now.