Sunday, August 30, 2009

Welcome to the Word Place: American Rose Author, Beth Trissel

Beth Trissel writes for two lines at The Wild Rose Press: American and Faery Rose. She’s chosen to focus this post on American Rose because she is most deeply drawn to it.


I am passionate about the past, particularly early America. My fascination with stirring tales of the colonial frontier and Eastern Woodland Indians is an early and abiding one. My English/Scot-Irish ancestors were among the first settlers of the Shenandoah Valley and had family members killed and captured by the Indians. Some individuals returned and left intriguing accounts of their captivity, while others disappeared without a trace.

This absorption with Colonial America also extends to the high drama of the Revolution. My ancestors fought and loved on both sides of that sweeping conflict. My research into the Southern face of the war was partly inspired by my great-great-great grandfather, Sam Houston, uncle of the famous Sam, who kept a journal of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina, 1781, that is used by historians today.

Moreover, I am ever intrigued by ghost stories, and Virginia has more tales than any other state. I find myself asking if the folk who’ve gone before us are truly gone, or do some still have unfinished business in this realm? And what of the young lovers whose time was tragically cut short, do they somehow find a way? Love conquers all, so I answer ‘yes.’

I’ve been writing novels for going on 14 yrs. Before being published by the Wild Rose Press, I finaled in a number of RWA chapter contests, won several, and was a 2008 Golden Heart finalist. I have four novels out with TWRP, a free read, and am one of the authors in the upcoming American Rose Christmas Anthology.

I had a big May at The Wild Rose Press with the release of three major novels that took years to write but all came out within weeks of each other. Two of them, Enemy of the King and Through the Fire, are American Rose releases. Even though Daughter of the Wind is a Faery Rose, it has a strong American historical base.


1780, South Carolina: While Loyalist Meriwether Steele recovers from illness in the stately home of her beloved guardian, Jeremiah Jordan, she senses the haunting presence of his late wife. When she learns that Jeremiah is a Patriot spy and shoots Captain Vaughan, the British officer sent to arrest him, she is caught up on a wild ride into Carolina back country, pursued both by the impassioned captain and the vindictive ghost. Will she remain loyal to her king and Tory twin brother or risk a traitor’s death fighting for Jeremiah? If Captain Vaughan snatches her away, he won’t give her a choice.South Carolina, spies and intrigue, a vindictive ghost, the battle of King’s Mountain, Patriots and Tories, pounding adventure, pulsing romance…ENEMY OF THE KING.


During the French and Indian War, a young English widow ventures into the colonial frontier in search of a fresh start. She never expects to find it in the arms of the half-Shawnee, half-French warrior who makes her his prisoner in the raging battle to possess a continent––or to be aided by a mysterious white wolf and a holy man.The French and Indian War, a Shawnee warrior, an English lady,blood vengeance, deadly pursuit, primal, powerful, passionate…THROUGH THE FIRE



Writer Tip: Write what you love because you are going to be doing it for a very long time. Revise, rework, polish those stories and hone the craft. Be receptive to good constructive criticism. I’ve balked initially, but benefited from it over the years.

BETH IS OFFERING EVERYONE WHO LEAVES A COMMENT AN OPPORTUNITY TO WIN A FREE DIGITAL DOWNLOAD OF BOTH BOOKS PROFILED ON THIS BLOG.

Author Links:

Website is www.bethtrissel.com
Blog: http://bethtrissel.wordpress.com/
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/bctrissel

24 comments:

Maureen said...

Beth,
Good Morning! Three novels all in May? Wow, what a wonderful reward for all your hard work.
Maureen

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Maureen. I don't know how it worked out that way, but somehow the release dates just all ended up in May. Took me years to write the books!

P.L. Parker said...

I'm a history nut. Love the research into the past. What a thrill to have 3 out in one month.

Beth Trissel said...

I hear you PL. I'm all about the past and don't usually get excited about contemporary romance unless its suspenseful.

nlindabrit said...

I was fascinated by the synopses of the two novels in your blog post. They sound like exciting and fun reads and both sound highly original as well.

K9friend said...

I, too, am drawn to historical fiction, with the Civil War era being my primary interest.

Some say it's tougher now to be published in this particular genre. What's your opinion? Any suggestions for new authors?

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks so much, nlindabrit. I've always marched to my own drum, so trust that my work is original. I also like to write fast-paced adventure which suits this time period. I make my light paranormals very suspenseful.

Beth Trissel said...

Hi K9friend. My family is steeped in Civil War history and I understand your deep draw to that time period. As for publishers, yes, this era like mine is a tough sell. That said, The Wild Rose Press is very open to Civil War romances. Check out the submission guidelines on their website. I'm a huge fan of the Wild Rose.

Jana Richards said...

Hi Beth,
I love the synopsis of your works here. They sound like a great reads.

I totally agree with your tip about writing what you love. A writer can spend months, years even with a story, so if you don't love it and believe in it till the end, it's going to show in the writing.

Jana

Beth Trissel said...

Amen, Jana.

KatieBee said...

How cool!! I'm a history freak myself, LOVE the Civil War (and WWII) AND I live in Virginia! You're right, it's the best state as far as historical ghosts are concerned! :-)

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks KatieBee. Virginia rocks. :)

Skhye said...

Great post. I found the types of roses confusing when first snooping around the WRP site way back when... I take it American Roses are colonial history? Or are Civil War stories part of the American Rose line? Then you move into Westerns with Cactus Rose... And there's Vintage Roses! Am I right, Judy & Beth?

Beth Trissel said...

Hi Skhye. The American Rose encompasses a large time period from Colonial America up through Edwardian in the early 1900's,and maybe a bit further. Not sure when Vintage Rose kicks in. Hmmmmm.

Beth Trissel said...

I looked up the American Rose Description and it still doesn't say exactly where the cut-off is. We'd have to ask an editor. I know the Wild Rose will bounce you over to Vintage if your story is set beyond the American Rose bounds. Here's the link for submission guidelines if anyone's interested:
http://thewildrosepress.com/publisher/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=160

Judy said...

I think Vintage Rose picks up about 1900---or so I understand. This is the line I've been writing for.

Beth Trissel said...

OK, that sounds right. :)

Gwynlyn MacKenzie said...

Good luck with all three books, Beth.

Miss said...

Daughter of the Wind just blew me away. You are one heck of a good writer and I am so pleased to see your success!

Lynne Roberts said...

First I'd like to say congratulations on your releases. Wow! Three in one month. Have you recovered yet? : )

I'm a big fan of history and your stories sound wonderful.

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks much, ladies. And Lynne, no, I'm not entirely recovered yet. Three major novels in one month is unbelievably tiring. Always glad to hear from fellow historical fans. :)

lmcoulter said...

What a prolific writer you are! And one of my favorite subjects as well! I'll be looking for your books!

Beth Trissel said...

Thanks Imcoulter. :)

Judy said...

Thank you, Beth, for being my guest today. And thanks to all who dropped by The Word Place!