Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The First Time I . . .

This isn't a new writing excercise by any means. Lists of "firsts" proliferate in ideas for teaching children how to write as well as motivating adult creativity. Making a list is as good a place to start as any. You never know when the light bulb will come on, and there'll be a new story in the making!

Here's my list (in no particular order of importance!)

  1. My first trans-Atlantic flight
  2. My first day away from home at college
  3. My first baby
  4. My first pair of high heels
  5. My first year of teaching (and that one already earned me a tidy sum!)
So grab your pen and paper and start listing. You'll probably come up with more than five. And if you need more ideas, follow the links below.

Wikipedia List of Firsts
Firsts by American Women
Famous NFL Firsts
Military Women Firsts
Presidential Inaugural Facts and Firsts
Celebrating Black History: Black Firsts
Firsts in Medicine (Wikipedia)

Book: History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-Nine Firsts in Recorded History by Samuel Noah Kramer available in paperback at Amazon.com

And, of course, there's the old standby: The Guiness Book of World Records

1 comment:

K9friend said...

Amazing how writing prompts can help "birth" a story.

And my imagination muscle can sure use the exercise!