Monday, August 31, 2009

Book Review Debut

This will be the first of what I hope to make a weekly book review at The Word Place, although I intend to continue posting resources and references for writers also.

Through the kindness of a good friend, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society fell into my hands on Friday. By Sunday, I had devoured it.

Written as a series of letters in 1946 between British author Juliet Ashton, her publisher, two personal friends, an erstwhile American swain, and a group of people who survived the Nazi occupation of Guernsey, one of the islands in the English Channel, this fictional account is vividly real. Dawsey, Amelia, Eben, Eli, Isola, Elizabeth, Remy, and little Kit live and breathe in the pages of this 274-page volume.

Historical and literary references pepper the text, intermingled with the total range of emotions from joy to heartbreak and everything in-between. Becoming engrossed in the lives of these wonderful people, the reader will find it difficult to leave them for such mundane pursuits such as eating and sleeping!

Your fingers should run, not walk, to the keyboard of your computer and find this heartwarming story at your favorite online bookstore.






The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows, Dial Press Trade Paperbacks, 2009

Find it at ABE Books
and Amazon.com

3 comments:

nlindabrit said...

I have nearly finished this book myself and it has moved me to tears, both of joy and sorrow. It was recommended to me by a friend and I love it. I have also learned a great deal about the occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII.

K9friend said...

I read this one a few months ago and completely enjoyed it.

I love stories that are written as letters or journals. It is such an intimate way of writing!

lmcoulter said...

Thank you! I will be reading this if I can make my way to the library! :)