Monday, July 27, 2009

The Edits

Today I finished the edits on Finding Papa's Shining Star. But it is NOT celebration time. No, I just finished going through the entire ms ONE time, taking note of editorial comments, making changes where requested, etc. It is not over. No, I must start over again with page one and go through it yet again. And when that is done, I'll do it at least one more time. Only then will it go back to the editor.

Then, of course, it will come back to me for the second round of edits and then again in galley form. I wonder if Charlotte Bronte or Jane Austen or Charles Dickens ever wondered WHY they chose to write. . .

I'm joking, of course. The reasons for writing are as varied as the world's authors. The common thread is that we write first and foremost because we want to do it.

So, am I a writer or just someone playing at being one? If the amount of time and work count at all, then I've paid my dues. . .I think. Actually, I'm of the school that says anyone who writes IS a writer!

And this is only the beginning. Developing a workable (and hopefully profitable) marketing plan looms on the horizon. I look at it this way: it's all a learning process, and when we stop learning, we stop living.

I think I'll hang around a bit longer.

2 comments:

nlindabrit said...

You are certainly undertaking the whole process of editing with great diligence and sticking to the task too. I know you can weary of a whole project when forced to disect and re-disect it in this much detail. I admire you for the professional way you have approached the whole task.

K9friend said...

Eventually it seems you can recite the piece in your sleep, doesn't it?

The good news is I'm sure you'll be happy with the end result!