Sunday, June 21, 2009

New Resource Books

Instead of getting rid of books, I seem to be accumulating more. The excuse is, of course, that they're for research. Two more arrived on Saturday: Ghost Towns of Texas by T. Lindsey Baker, and Backroads of Texas (subtitled The sites, scenes, history, people, and places your map doesn't tell you about) by Larry Hodge and Ed Syers. Both are gems! Or, in Texas parlance, they're "jim-dandies".

So many towns flourished in early Texas---as in every state---and then died for various reasons: the railroad passed them by, the oil gave out, forts were deserted when there was no longer any need for them. Why are they called "ghost towns"? Maybe because they are only a shadow of what used to be. Once upon a time, though, they lived--and people lived in them--and where there are people, there are stories--and that's what I write.

On another note, I've been tweaking my website. Hey, I'm a novice, but I got it up, and now I'm "fixing" it. In the WD Writing Basics which I've been poring over, Linda Formichelli describes "The Anatomy of a Writer's Website". She lists eight items to be included in such a website and says, "Your site is to establish who you are. . ." So I'm trying to make the site reflective of my personality, as well as create a marketing tool.

I'm still sticking to the advice to sit down and write for a certain amount of time each day and also incorporating the advice about letting a first draft just "flow". The Showboat Affair, which I intended to shelve temporarily, is coming right along. I'm averaging 700-900 words once a day in an unspecified but limited amount of time. At the same time, I'm completing research for the western novel and working on magazine articles which, hopefully, will be picked up.

Time is moving on, and so am I.

2 comments:

K9friend said...

I'm impressed with your progress. I wish I could multi-task like you do. I find it's hard for me to work on more than one story at a time.

nlindabrit said...

Your new books remind me of my first visit to the United States. We drove right across the country from East to West coast and our driver, Tim refused to use the Interstates as the speed limit and the boredom drove him crazy. Instead, we drove the old Route 66 instead, passing through many rusting and ageing backwaters as towns that had once been prosperous quietly ran to seed. It gave us a view of a vanishing way of life and we met lovely people, ate delicious food and experienced many fun experiences. I'll nrverr forget my view of small-town America and the faded glory of the famous old road.