The Writer's Guide to Places is an encyclopedic listing covering all 50 states plus some Canadian cities and provinces. Turning to the entry for Arkansas, I find a map showing major highways and cities, followed by basic geographical facts. Further sub-headings include
- Significant Events Your Character Has Probably Thought About
- Arkansas Facts and Peculiarities Your Character Might Know
- Your Character's Food and Drink
- Things Your Character Likes to Remember
- Things Your Characters Would Like to Forget
- Myths and Misperceptions about Arkansas
- Interesting Places to Set a Scene
The Texas entry is similar, BUT there are separate additional entries for Texas cities like Austin, the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex, Houston, and San Antonio!
What a terrific resource! I like the "blurb" on the back cover which says, A WRITER'S MAGIC CARPET RIDE-Carry your readers from coast to coast without leaving home!
With all these terrific resources, I have absolutely NO excuse not to write -- and to write realistically!