Monday, May 11, 2009

Inspiration and Resources

There is a full page spread in the newest AARP Magazine about authors who have penned best-selling novels past the age of 50. "Write On Past Age 50" by Bill Hogan is a look at 11 authors with synopses and backstories of the books written when they were no longer "young".


  • Irving Stone wrote The Agony and The Ectasy at age 58.
  • Katherine Ann Porter wrote Ship of Fools at age 72.
  • James A. Michener wrote The Source at age 58.
  • Elia Kazan wrote The Arrangement: A Novel at age 58.
  • Leon Uris wrote Trinity at age 52.
  • Robert Ludlum wrote The Matarese Circle at age 72.
  • James Clavell wrote Noble House at age 57.
  • Jean M. Auel wrote The Plains of Passage at age 54.
  • Alexandra Ripley wrote Scarlett at age 57.
  • Robert J. Waller wrote The Bridges of Madison County at age 53.
  • Jerry B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye wrote Desecration: Antichrist Takes the Throne at ages 52 and 75.
Though I'm getting a somewhat later start than most--and I certainly don't anticipate becoming a best-selling author with my little tales--I feel encouraged that I am in good creative company in my senior years!

~~~~~

Also in the week's collection of mail was a catalogue of books which can be bought through Writer's Digest. Many are how-to books, but others are valuable resource books. I'm considering several, including The American West (regularly $40, now $24), Literary Law Guide for Authors ($14.99), and The Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits, 3rd Edition ($12.95). Free shipping and handling on U.S. orders of $25 or more makes ordering the books even more appealing.

~~~~~

Last but not least, the June issue of The Writer was in the bundle of mail. There are four articles on writing for children, one on overcoming writer burnout, a short piece on the coming of age of e-books, and some information on business cards (which I'm happy to report, I remembered to take with me on my trip and handed out several!).


2 comments:

K9friend said...

It's nice to know there's hope for us, isn't there? : )

Donna Alice said...

That's what I was thinking! There's hope for those of us past 50. Sure hope I don't have to wait until I'm 70!