Friday, April 3, 2009

Poetry: Day Three of the Challenge

The poetry prompt for Day 3 of the WD April Poem-A-Day Challenge is The trouble with (blank) is. . .


I had to give this a bit of thought, but of course, my thoughts turned to writing, so here is what I came up with.

The trouble with writing is
you can never finish.
No matter how much you write,
there is always more to be written.
Another scene,
another conversation,
another crisis
lurking in the wings
of the writer's mind.
The trouble with a story is
that it never ends.
So if you think you've written
the last chapter
of your Great American Novel,
solved the problems,
killed off the villains,
wedded the heroes, and
tied up the loose ends
of all the characters' lives,
you are mistaken.
After the book has gone to print,
you will lie awake and think of more.
You will dream
of the unwritten scenes
and the unspoken words.
In your mind
the story will go on
forever.
It isn't over
because you aren't over,
and as long as you live,
your story will live, too.



On a pleasant personal note, I had a telephone call from someone who had spoken to my son and is also a writer. We've arranged to meet for lunch sometime next week, discuss our projects, share ideas, and perhaps form a crit group locally. I'm excited!

2 comments:

nlindabrit said...

How very exciting! You would love to have a local crit group for feedback wouldn't you? I hope the lunch goes well!

I love your poem on writing!

K9friend said...

Terrific poem, and keen writer POV observations. Good luck with the lunch. Helpful as on-line critique can be, I love the interaction of a face to face group.