Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Wild Rose Press and White Rose Publishing

Thanks to an online crit partner, I'm going great guns on Blue Velvet again and am just 10K words away from meeting the goal of finishing it entirely. Then, of course, come revisions, before it's ready for submission as a vintage romance to TWRP.

TWRP has, despite these tough economic times, started an off-shoot company just for Christian romance. White Rose Publishing debuted last week. It's a lovely site, and it has inspired me to get back to the idea of writing a Christian romance. Not that any of my stories are, in the least, sketchy. Though they deal with real-life situations (and we all know that real life isn't always pretty), I feel that I present them tastefully. My motto is still "Fade to black" when a love seen teeters on intense. That's just my style and does not speak to any other author who chooses to write differently.

Back to White Rose Publishing. I wrote a note of congratulations to the editor-in-chief, concluding with the thought that even if I wasn't part of TWRP, I'd respect their business dealings. They came into being as an author-centered publishing company, and I have experienced that first-hand. Even when my first novel was rejected, I didn't receive a form email. I received a lengthy, personalized one explaining that what I'd sent didn't fit their company because it wasn't a strict one-man-one-woman romance but rather a family saga. The editor who read the synopsis told me that there were many other companies who accepted that genre and encouraged me to submit it there.

Frankly, I think they're a good example of "Nice guys don't always finish last." The editor replied to my note by saying that they did feel, if they did the right thing, they would succeed. So do I.

The publishing industry is in a state of turmoil. Newspapers are going under. At least one mainline book publishing company has put a moratorium on the acceptance of new manuscripts. TWRP is sailing along because we're all in this together. The company does everything it can for its authors, and everybody helps everybody else with ideas for marketing, etc. Frankly, I hope I can produce more work that fits their needs, because I feel I'm among friends---and I'd like to stay for the long run.

2 comments:

K9friend said...

It's good to hear from someone who knows what publishing houses are good to work with. It makes them go to the top of the list for me!

nlindabrit said...

That is great news about Blue Velvet! I have to agree that TWRP seems to have a wonderful ethos.