Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Recommendations

I subscribe to Hope Clark's Funds for Writers newsletter. Mine comes in two separate emails, one of which includes a list of small markets. I usually end up checking at least one or two of the suggestions, and I have a story sitting "under consideration" with one of those right now (a print magazine).

Also, I ordered an ebook from her site. She and co-author Gwynne Spencer wrote Ferocious Promotion for Timid Authors. For $7.95, I thought it was worth the download. I even printed it (64 pages) for easier reading and put it in one of the pocket folders I stock up on when they're on sale (like 10 for $1).

But I digress. I have to say it's the best money I've spent in awhile. Some of the ideas are obvious, and I was already looking for places to approach about booksignings. But there was so much more! The subtitle is Inexpensive Insights on Selling Your Book--and they are. An investment of time is the only real expense, and time I have in abundance now.

I'm going to post the eleven chapter titles just FYI:
  1. Strategy, the Ground Rules
  2. Collecting Your Tools
  3. Mailings
  4. Back to School with Educational Groups
  5. Shhh, Libraries are a Great Secret
  6. Do Good Through Civic and Charitable Groups
  7. Show Off at Conventions and Fairs
  8. Commercial Venues Make Money
  9. Scoop the Press
  10. Wrapping Up Loose Ends
  11. Keep Finding New Ways
As I said, not all the suggestions are viable for WIPSS, but the majority are. Some of them take more courage than I think I now possess, but I'm working on it! Anyway, it was a good investment of money and the time to read. I emailed her that, and she asked if she could use my email in her newsletter as a "testimonial". It took me awhile I decide that I could live with my name being publicized quietly, but today I replied in the affirmative. (Do you understand why the word timid in her title attracted me?)

Anyway, if you're in the market for writing venues and good tips, follow the link and take a look at Funds for Writers.

1 comment:

nlindabrit said...

You are doing a fantastic job of overcoming your natural reticence and doing what you need to do to promote your work. I admire you tremendously for that.