Thursday, February 19, 2009

Rights

Sometime ago, there was a site asking its readers to contribute 30 poems in 30 days, each one written to a particular prompt. I meant to do it---I really did. Unfortunately, after two, I let the project slide. However, the first one I wrote seems even more pertinent now.

I believe in the right to be me,
To live,
To love,
To play,
To laugh,
To cry,
To say I’ve done my work.
Don’t ask me to do more.
Don’t tell me what to do
Or think,
Or believe,
Or like,
Or dislike.
My youth was given away
To my husband.
To my children.
My middle-age was given away
To my children.
To my colleagues,
To my parents.
Now I am old.
These years are mine
To live.
To love,
To play,
To laugh,
To cry.
I’ve given enough.
Now give to me
The right to be me.

Maybe it was my Declaration of Independence or my Bill of Rights, who knows? It needed to be said, and it needs to be demanded before it is too late.


2 comments:

K9friend said...

I do identify with your anthem. Mind if I sing along?

nlindabrit said...

Fantastic and I agree with every word!