Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Online Forum

I am enjoying the online writing forum. My group is small--about six of us--but each member has offered valid critiques/suggestions about the poem and the story I posted. It's amazing how others can see the flaws that a fellow writer misses.

I hope I've returned the favor with my comments---pointing out what is extra-good and making suggestions about what might be changed.

The way it works is like this: The moderator sends out about four topics for a poem and four for a short-story. The former has a 32-line limit; the latter can be no longer than 2000 words. We can't post until a certain date, usually about a week after receiving the topics. Then we have a week to read and do crits on the drafts.

After that, we post a re-write and do more crits. A week or so down the line, the final piece may be posted. Then, we take a deep breath, and more topics are handed out.

What a good way to get the creative juices flowing and to benefit from other writers' ideas!

And, it's free! You can't beat that!

2 comments:

nlindabrit said...

I am so pleased that you are finding the on-line writing forum a positive experience. I know others who have had less friendly experiences with such groups. I can see how honest and helpful critiques can benefit you.

K9friend said...

I've never tried the on-line critique experience, but love my real life group. You're right, no matter how many times we look at our own work, fresh eyes can pick up on things we overlook!