Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes. . .

I didn't place in the contest, the results of which were announced today, BUT---the 22-year-old niece of a good friend won FIRST PLACE! She's a senior in college and has always dreamed of becoming a writer, so that $500 is going to be a big help to her! That's exciting! In her bio, she said she had a novel completed and hoped to have it published within the year, so I hope that happens for her, too!

There's nothing more exciting than being young and having dreams and seeing them begin to come true. When one is older, one can be more philosophical about defeat, but the young need success to spur them on.

My own dreams were discouraged and treated with a certain amount of amusement and derision, so I have made it a point to encourage the dreams of others, even when they seem rather unrealistic and unlikely to come true. Who knows? It could happen, but turning loose of those dreams guarantees that they won't.

When I was in college, I kept a scrapbook/journal of my hopes and dreams, and into it I copied the first verse of a poem by Louise Driscoll, found in The Best Loved Poems of the American People, a book now literally falling apart from use!

Hold Fast Your Dreams
Hold fast your dreams!
Within your heart
Keep one still, secret spot
Where dreams may go,
And, sheltered so,
May thrive and grow
Where doubt and fear are not.
O keep a place apart,
Within your heart,
For little dreams to go!

Interviewers often ask celebrities what they want to be remembered for, and they come up with all kinds of answers. I'm certainly not--and never will be--don't want to be--a celebrity, but if anyone remembers me, I'd like for it to be as an encourager, someone who listens with an open mind and heart and says, "It's okay to dream. Don't stop." or "These bad times will pass. Be strong."

That would be more than enough for me. That's even more important than realizing, somewhat belatedly, my own dreams.

2 comments:

nlindabrit said...

Heartiest congratulations to your friend's niece. I am sure the prize will be most useful to a college student.

How right you are about encouraging people and letting people have their dreams. I often think that today's young people have depressingly low horizons and that speaks to the amount of encouragment they have, or have not been given.

K9friend said...

If you don't take home the prize, the next best thing is having someone you know do it. Congrats!