Sunday, January 18, 2009

I'd Rather Do Anything Except. . .

I'd rather do anything except write a synopsis! Finding Papa's Shining Star has been through three revisions and a spellcheck and will probably get another run-through before I send it off. But before I can do that, I must write the dreaded synopsis!

Actually, I've begun. I have the title, Synopsis: Finding Papa's Shining Star neatly typed on a blank document. That's it. Nothing else. Unless, of course, you want to consider the word count--71,884--noted for the editor's information.

So how do I condense 494 double-spaced pages into no more than 5 of the same? I did it for Where Is Papa's Shining Star? on which I now have a nice contract. But that was then, and this is now, and I don't even want to think about it!

My weekend goal was to finish the third revision, which I did. I knew, after that was done, it would be synopsis time, but I didn't dwell on it. Did I hope it would just go away? Probably. Did it? Nope.

The deed must be done, there's no other way around it. But hear me. . .

(I'd rather be shot!)

3 comments:

nlindabrit said...

This is something I haven't yet tried to do in earnest and I gather from what you and other writers have said that it is far from easy.

I know it is necessary to make every word count and convey exactly what you want the person reading the synopsis to think.

I wish you good luck with the synopsis, Judy! May it all come together beautifully for you.

Leona said...

oh yuck..blech..synopsis...Sigh..A little rain must fall on our parade! I know I should be at least trying to write one, but...LOL Good luck!

K9friend said...

I'm sure once you start getting those words on paper, it'll be a snap...uh, okay, maybe an explosion?