Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's A Full-Time Job

No matter how you look at it, anything you undertake with some seriousness is a full-time job. I'm finding that out about writing.

I'm almost 30K words into the sequel for the novel to be published. The end goal is 65K, so I'm not even half-way there. And that's just a first draft--you know, one of those raw eggs waiting to be fried, scrambled, or poached in order to be edible! While I do a little editing as I go, the finished story will not be a finished product.

Then friends keep sending me fantastic links to periodicals looking for submissions, as well as tantalizing contests begging to be entered. Not to mention the two other novels that need to be revised before I can do anything with them. Not to mention short story ideas that are beating down the door of my mind trying to get out.

So much to write, so little time!

Also, I have to come up with a marketing plan for the novel. The publisher has a marketing department, but in the end, an author is ultimately responsible for selling her published work. Even the "big" publishing houses, as I understand it, do limited promotion except in the case of "big" name authors! I'm trying to convince myself that this can be a real adventure, full of good times and meeting new people.

Fortunately, the "marketing kitty" is growing fatter with some revenue from other writing, and I do have some ideas of how to spend it.

I find myself busier, actually, than when I was teaching. Sometimes I have to take a break or suffer burn-out. Sometimes I wonder if I'll ever see the forest for the trees. Maybe a small portion of it anyway.

I have no excuse not to write. Hanna still takes lovely long naps and then plays contentedly in her little play yard in the study while I tap-tap-tap away at the computer. I have four full days to nyself. So whenever I am tempted to cave in to the pile-up of this new work, I can't justify it.

Speaking of no excuses, writing this blog is not one either, so I'd better get back to work!

3 comments:

K9friend said...

And of course it's tough to be a taskmaster--when the recipient is yourself! Writing is a tough and lonely job, indeed.
By the way, our speaker last weekend at my writer's group talked a bit about marketing her young adult book. She takes every opportunity she can to speak (and brings books to sign & sell), and heavily uses the internet (website, blog, facebook, YouTube, etc). Marketing is hard work, too!

Donna Alice said...

Do we need to get out the wooden spoon??? Four whole days to write is riches beyond comprehension! I'm glad to get four minutes to rub together.

Might I recommend a book from the RWA called The Shameless Hussy's Guide to SElf Promotion. You get it from them, I think.

Hm--guilty of sending all those links!! Maybe I need to run from the wooden spoon myself.

nlindabrit said...

I know how you feel about so many ideas, so little time. It is hard to decide what to focus on when your mind is bursting with ideas.

I confess, I don't envy you the whole marketing side of the writing business, indeed my shy spirit shrinks from all that.